There are other things too
In the middle of Deep Learning rush we forget that there are other things on this planet and off it that are fascinating. That’s right, I want to share with you the best materials I saw so far on Moon exploration that are highly recommended.
Books From Apollo Participants
There are quite a few books written about US space program. But there are few that are really good. I’ve chanced to read some of them and below follow the best ones in my opinion.
The Last Man On The Moon Book
This book is very special and it is a memoir by Gene Cernan the commander of Apollo 17. He was literally the last person to walk on the moon.
Pros. There is a special atmosphere in this book. The descriptions are so vivid and colorful. Gene Cernan was deeply touched by lunar visits since he was there twice on Apollo 10 and then Apollo 17. It is available on Kindle.
Cons. It finished so fast. (No photos in the book)
The Last Man On The Moon Movie
There is also a movie named the same which may be found for free on the internet or bought here. Here is the trailer.
Two Sides of the Moon: Our Story of the Cold War Space Race
This book combines recollections by Apollo 15 commander David Scott and his contemporary Alexi Leonov who was the first man to walk in space.
Pros. Very interesting book because of complementing accounts provided by both distinguished persons. Available in Kindle format.
Cons. Not a single photo.
From The Other Side
The book below provides very different account of the matters described in the books above. It is written by Gene Kranz the Flight throughout entire US space program starting from Mercury and ending in Shuttle era.
Pros. The more technical book than astronauts accounts. Available on Kindle.
Cons. No photos again.
Documentaries that cannot be missed
- EARTHRISE: The First Lunar Voyage – documentary about Apollo 10.
- Apollo 13 Documentary 1958 – as it was portrayed by NASA.
- Apollo 15 Remembered 40 Years Later – documentary for Apollo 15 featuring Neil Armstrong and others.
- In The Shadow of The Moon – british documentary with interesting stuff.
- The Last Man On The Moon – documentary featuring Gene Cernan.
- Failure Is Not An Option A Flight Control History of NASA – documentary featuring flight controllers and Gene Kranz.
- Moon Machines – tools that made lunar program possible and people behind them.
- From The Earth To The Moon – a series produced by Tom Hanks.
Not because they are easy, but because they are hard!
This post can’t be finished without the full inspirational to say the least speech by John F. Kennedy. It is incomparable to the current president of the US. It is a giant speech for a president and a giant gap between then and now.